Counter

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Day 37: A Birthday Recap

The last time I wrote was a day before my birthday, and though most people would think I should write my best work on my birthday, I seemed to have missed out on writing all together since that day. No, this is not me being lazy but this really is me being busy and though I realize that it is important and equivalently hard to keep writing poems everyday , it gets trickier when you have a schedule to maintain. A lot has happened over the past week and instead of going with the most recent changes, topics and discussions in my life, I am going to go back to the day of my birthday and write you something from a birthday boys heart. And I have decided to keep things shorter as I seem to write better when I have small bursts of word. I hope you won't mind a weeks recap and would only see this as a late birthday gift that I might get to keep. For today let me write to something that was stuck on my mind a week before, when Friday unfolded like any other day and when I was supposed to write day 37. The most unexpected people called and though the misgivings and shortcomings and dreadfulness of the day haunted me for a while, thinking it would never live up to what it was last year, it was only a tat here and there. Here's to those who made it work, those who took away my insecurities and fear about facing this day alone, I thank you for you phone calls, cheers and hugs and those who didn't know but cared enough my hugs back to you, I write this one only for you all.

A Birthday Recap
For a phone call from "far" away,
A used up wish that never gets older this way.
That recycles back gets better in time, like a old song you play,
Till the last bit of the coffee you love, till a warm cup is all you hold today.



A phone call from a old friend, a nightmare to forget of dreams where I pretend,
A birthday recap drives me , wakes me still in the middle of the night,
That recites poetry, sings to me and often puts up to my fight,
Never leave the door open you said, never close it I say, don't let it end.

Wrapping paper lies on my table today, the patterns the colors from my last birthday,
From the things I know I have kept for a while, the ones you couldn't give away
I didn't get a cake this time, I wasn't lucky enough some would always say,
But even if the weirdest, busiest of times, I still got to keep a few friends neatly tucked away.

A week from now when I write this for you, will you write this for me too?
Will the realization that this is song and poetry, keep coming back to you?
Think of me looking at the last present; I didn't unwrap quite yet,
Don't give up on me just this way, just for a bit, let me keep keep my birthday, let me have my bet.

No comments:

Post a Comment