Counter

Friday, April 10, 2015

Day 104: Everybody Knows no One

The past couple of days have been fairly busy trying to get things done and it is at times like these when you tend to stay away from writing, trying to get everything else in order. We had our department gala today, an annual event honoring people and an occasion for many to come together and to share good food and warm company. It is while sitting at this event that I kept thinking about it for a brief moment when we are introduced, everybody knows everyone and as the night progresses nobody knows no one just for a little bit. So I write to this gradual, momentary phase this knowing and forgetting and the remembering that follows.

Everybody knows no one
Take me to places where no one knows my name,
Where everyone is everybody and where we could all play the game.
Take me to some places and to people we remember as somebody,
When I would wander the walls, and feel unwound and free

Everybody knows somebody tonight, and everybody knows no one,
We keep coming back again to the places where it all begun
In warm companies or conversations still, we will remember the rainfall outside,
And in the wind that gets caught up as the day brushes by my side


We are raiders of the lost night, we are story tellers when we want to be,
We are quiet as the night that sleeps outside, and myself as I am reminded of "me"
We are forgetful of the little things we get to see and feel sometimes,
We are  busy meeting the world , and in my memory I seem to somewhere hit rewind

We are everybody and nobodies, we are standing still somewhere,
We are floating around in our safety vests hoping to reach you there.
Where the surface feels like solid ground, when you have known someone inside and out,
For now everybody seems to know everyone, and nobody knows no one 

No comments:

Post a Comment