Counter

Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Day 286: Radio

Today's writing was based on a suggestion about radio as a form of being so many people at once, as
those who are hiding behind these voices we often choose to be defined by just our voice. As few of my friends who actually perform and talk on radio I find the idea fascinating as they switch between personas. They become something during the moment and I wonder if they sometimes remember what they originally sound like, do we let one of our persona's overtake us and become the dominant self? Radio(s) as instruments of transition from an old to new to me are pure boxes of nostalgia that have evolved in time and yet somehow still have an essense of time attahced. So here's to the first radio you ever heard, the first time you punched in a song and the voice on the other side spoke to you , written and spoken to you in "radio"

Radio
You are voices to me, tuned in sometimes as I tune out
You are whispers behind the microphone as I listen to our shouts
These airwaves we catch from places around the world for now
Voices on the other side stay untamed, I know not why or how

These roles we get to play, as a voice without a body on display
As unprepared as we may ever we, always finding something to say
Why find yourselves in these many formats and forms always "live"
Being transmitted , faded as we may way, hoping along & getting amplified


My tuning knob has been replaced, I press buttons now that don't feel the same
Like finding a clear tone with much twist & turn, as though cracking an old safe
So my etchings on the old wooden panels and on the sides of a radio
Are signs of a time that may have played on & on & yet somehow refuses to let go

I am looking for identifications sometimes to my very own voice
One that I don't choose to keep, one that was default without a choice
I don't remember who I used to be, I have changed so many a times
So I listen to old recordings of myself, hoping to find whichever one feels mine

No comments:

Post a Comment